Earlier this week, we came across an excellent article on MyFitnessPal, which listed 67 Science Backed Weight Loss Strategies. From the list, we came up with some of our favorite numbers. I personally have used many of these strategies, and I recommend them to my clients. There are some new ones on here as well that I will share with my clients and everybody reading this article. Here are some that personally helped me out and have helped out my clients.
7. Prioritize your pantry – It is recommended to throw away the junk food you crave. What I do is I take the little bit of junk food in my kitchen and place it in the back of the pantry either behind healthy items like brown rice, beans, and protein powder, or I put the candy in a cabinet I cannot reach unless I climb on a chair and dig in the back to get it.
10. Snack before dining out – I used to drink a protein shake with one scoop of protein before I went out to eat. That reduced the temptation to want an unhealthy appetizer because I knew I would not be able to finish my dinner. I also tend to order a smaller portion size if I eat a little bit before I go out to eat. This can potentially save A LOT of calories, and not wreck the progress you have worked hard for all week.
18. Bring on the protein – Make sure you have protein at every meal and every snack. Protein fills you up and helps you build muscle.
Shop at the new CASS FITNESS SHOP for your home gym’s hottest items like dumbbells, plates, cardio machines, bands, and more!
21. Steer clear of simple carbohydrates – White bread, added refined sugars, and most pastries should not be in your diet at all. Sodas, juices, cake, ice cream, and candy (just a few examples) should not be part of your regular routine if you expect results. Nutrition labels are starting to slowly put “added sugars” on their labels so you know how much is in your food and drink. Beloved condiments such as ketchup are full of sugar as well…and we know nobody uses the actual serving size of ketchup!
22. Ditch the added sugar – I pretty much summed it up on the last point, but it is SUPER important you follow this one!
24. Skip frying, and cut down on oil – Yes, even healthy oils like Olive Oil and Coconut Oil still have a lot of calories. It is very easy to eat too many calories just from oil alone. For frozen turkey burgers, I boil a little bit of water in the pan so they do not stick, and I cook them without oil. I do use a half tbsp of olive oil for fresh turkey burgers, however since they do not stick together in water at all.
32. Gulp H2O – Water makes you feel fuller, plus your body needs a lot of it. In fact, if you workout regularly, you need 96 oz. of water at the minimum. I drink 128 oz. every day.
37. Brush your pearly whites – After I take the effort to brush my teeth, I feel incredibly guilty about eating afterward or even an hour or two after I brush. This is a great one to implement!
64. HIIT it – I always stress the benefits of HIIT training (HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING). HIIT burns more calories and boosts your metabolism, creating an afterburn of calories for 24-36 hours after your workout, and it can be significantly more than steady state cardio. However, both types of cardio do have a place in most routines, along with WEIGHT LIFTING.
Check out the full list here! http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/67-science-backed-weight-loss-strategies/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly20170508
Have fun simplifying your weight loss journey!