One of the leading causes of foot problems is foot tendonitis. Leading because it is literally caused by most of our day to day activities including:
· Playing sports like basketball, tennis, golf, football et cetera
· Gardening, carpentry, raking etc.
· Walking, jogging or running
· HIIT workouts, cycling among many.
Also spelled as tendinitis, foot tendonitis is the swelling and irritation of the foot tendons due to injuries, overuse, obesity, abnormal foot structure, aging or some medical conditions like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. Tendons are the tissues that connect muscles to the bone. There are three main types of foot tendonitis namely Achilles, peroneal and posterior tibial tendonitis.
Although it has many causes, there are equally a number of treatments for foot tendonitis. In this article, we will provide you with some of the available home remedies to the problem in a bid to ease your pain quickly, easily, and efficiently. They are as follows:
1) Olive, Mustard or Sesame Oils
Given that foot tendonitis has caused your tendons to swell, massaging your feet with oil is quite ideal as it soothes them lessening the symptoms. These oils will also provide oxygen and nutrients to the affected areas through fueling blood flow. This is how to do it:
· Take 2 to 3 tablespoons or 100 ml of any of the oils and warm in a saucepan over medium heat.
· Transfer the heated oil to a size appropriate glass bowl and using your fingertips softly massage your feet.
· Continue for about 10 to 15 minutes then wipe the extra oil off using a wet cloth.
· Repeat the process daily till you feel the pain and see the swelling fade.
Here is a useful link https://draxe.com/tendonitis/
2) Vinegar Wraps
The use of both hot and cold vinegar wraps on affected areas will noticeably decrease foot tendonitis. “Why use both?” You ask. Well, it’s because the heat will lessen foot pains and the tension in sore muscles. While the cold treatment and vinegar help to subside the inflammation. Use the following directions:
· In an equal ratio, mix vinegar and water and heat it. Pour the contents into a bowl.
· In another bowl mix equal parts of vinegar and ice cold water.
· Steep a towel in the hot solution, wring it then wrap around the affected area for 10 minutes or until you feel the towel cooling.
· Afterward, soak the towel in the cold mixture, wring it and continue as before.
· Repeat the process 2 to 4 times and finish by applying a moisturizer of your choice.
· Do this daily for 3 to 4 days for effectiveness.
For more details go to http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/175596.php?page=2
3) Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV, as it is commonly referred, has anti-inflammatory tendencies and hence it is a powerful remedy for foot tendonitis. To prepare:
· In a glass of warm water, add one or two teaspoons of pure ACV.
· You may add a teaspoon of honey to make it easier to drink.
· Ensure to drink the concoction twice or thrice in a day and on an empty stomach.
Get more information from http://www.myhealthtips.in/2013/12/best-home-remedies-for-foot-tendonitis.html
4) Ice Pack
The ice compresses the blood vessels in the affected areas causing the swelling to reduce. In place of ice, you could use an ice-cold spoon or a bag of frozen vegetables. Follow these steps:
· Crush some ice and place in a paper bag; wrap the bag with a moderately large cotton face towel. You can skip the paper bag and use the towel solely, wrapping the ends with twine.
· Place the makeshift ice pack on the swollen region for 15 to 30 minutes.
· Repeat twice or thrice each day for faster results.
Go to http://www.livestrong.com/article/24340-treatments-tendinitis-foot/
5) Carbonated Water
Yes, not only is it a healthy drink but club soda, soda water, sparkling water or whatever you chose to call it, also helps to ease pain caused by foot tendonitis. Through reversed osmosis, it rids the feet of excessive fluids thus reducing inflammation. Here’s how to use it:
· Pour a reasonable amount of sugarless carbonated water in a tub.
· Soak your feet in the water for about 20 minutes.
· Repeat this twice a day, daily until you clearly see a reduction in the swelling.
Most of us hear potato and think fries, or is it just me? In this case, however, potatoes will be used as a means to reduce foot aches and swelling caused by foot tendonitis in the following ways:
a) First procedure
Raw potatoes cause excess fluids to leave your feet hence lessening the swelling. Here’s how to do it:
· Pick a big sized potato and peel it
· Cut it into a 1/4 inch thick roundels
· Place the pieces on the affected areas of the feet
· Use a gauze to firmly hold the potato roundels in place
· Remain so for 20 minutes
· Do this daily until the swelling goes down
b) Second procedure
It has been proven that potatoes contain pain relievers that help ease bouts of pain felt from foot tendonitis. Remedy preparation is as follows:
· Boil a large potato
· Allow it to cool before peeling it
· Mash it to a fine paste and gently apply on affected area
· Allow the skin to absorb the required contents for about half an hour
· Wipe it off and repeat the process twice for three days.
7) Epsom salt
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate and it is the magnesium present that helps repair the damaged tendons brought about by foot tendonitis, thus healing the muscles. It works in two ways:
a) First procedure
· Dilute half a cup of Epsom salt into a tub filled with warm water. The warm water soothes and relaxes your feet
· Soak your feet in the warm solution for between fifteen minutes to an hour
· Moisturize your feet to avoid dryness
· Continue this relaxing procedure for 2 to 4 days a week for a number of weeks
b) 2nd procedure
· Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a cup of warm water and mix thoroughly
· Pour the content in a bowl and soak a face towel in it
· Use it to compress your feet for at least fifteen minutes
· Repeat daily until you get satisfactory results
8) Broccoli paste
Broccolis are green tree-shaped vegetables which other than being a healthy addition to your diet, help ease pains caused by foot tendonitis. This is how to use broccoli as a remedy:
· Add broccoli in a blender and pour in some little water to make a paste
· Apply the paste softly to affected areas on the feet
· Wrap the pasted area with a clean cloth
· Allow it to dry for about 30 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water
· Do this twice a week
I hope in the 8 methods provided you have found at least one that you could apply. You could research more on foot tendonitis in these links that were the main source of this article:
Please do leave your feedback in the comments session and if you enjoyed the article and found it informative, click share and help enlighten others.